If you think in getting your car of dreams in the state of a used car then you should consider getting its carfax for free to check if there is any legal restrictions for sale and check for any accidents that has been made by the car and that are not revealed at the time of sale. You as a buyer will have more control on your purchase and have a better background about the used car that you are trying to buy.
1) Get the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) of the used car. Carfax should be provided for you when you try to buy a used car but in case you do not get a one inform a private seller of the report benefits and ask him to wait till you get a one.
2) Go to the Carfax website and type the VIN that you got.
3) Search for the VIN information on “Lemon Check”, Record Check”, “Recall Check”, Problem Car Check” and “Sample Reports”.
4) Check the car accident and insurance history with the complete report. Check for the delivered used cars that are shipped to you from different parts of the country especially those after a natural disaster. A Carfax report gives you information about interstate sale and any pre ownership sales.
5) Try to search for a used car that comes with a Carfax for free and check the database of Carfax.com for information.
6) You can use online website like Carfax.com to search for your desired used car with the model, color, engine type and all your preferences and choose your area and you will get a list of the available cars.
7) Have a portable computer or any handheld device when you go buy your used car and check immediately on it while you are checking the rest of the cars.
8) If a car dealer prevents you from accessing any Carfax database, you should directly avoid him and have this as a sign of cancelling the deal.
Do not get over enthusiastic when your dream car at the used car lot and forget to check for its history and if it was involved in any accidents before. Check your local registration institution and have a check on the vehicle Identification Number and whether it is free of fines or not.